Frequently asked questions
Getting started with Roll
- How do I get started with Roll?
- What information do I need to gather to use Roll?
- To get started, have your Employer Identification Number (EIN), business banking account, and routing number handy. For your employees make sure you have their name, address, phone, email, SSN, and hire date.
- How do I add employees?
- Easy — just chat "Hire employee" and Roll will guide you through the process and invite your team to join you in the app!
- How long will it take to run my payroll?
- Under a minute! Seems crazy, right? But it’s not — because Roll gets to know your payroll and can predict and prefill the information for you.
- How often can I pay my employees?
- Unlimited payroll means there's no limit to the number of payrolls you can run in a week, month, or year. Need to run extra payrolls? Go for it! Roll doesn't limit you, and we never charge you for extra payrolls.
- Do you offer payroll in my state?
- Yes. Roll can pay anyone in the United States. We can even pay your team members who work and live in different states. In the age of remote work, this is more and more critical — but not every payroll provider can do this.
- Can I run payroll from a mobile phone or tablet?
- You bet! Roll is a mobile app. It's made for mobile because we know you're always on the go. You're welcome.
- How do employees get paid?
- Employees can be paid by direct deposit or you can issue them a company check. Direct deposits will be available approximately 24 hours after payroll is submitted. Roll even offers a same-day pay option if you need to make payments faster (nominal per-transaction fee applies).
- Does Roll offer next-day direct deposit?
- Absolutely. Employees set up with direct deposit will see funds digitally deposited within 24 hours, provided payroll is processed by 7:00 p.m. EST of the deadline date. Roll is also the only payroll app that offers same-day direct deposit or instant transfer, for a per-transaction fee. Same-day deposit is available for payroll processed by 2:00 p.m. EST on the deadline date.
- Can I pay employees and contractors?
- Yes. Roll can pay everyone including W-2, 1099, full-time, part-time, and seasonal workers.
- Can I pay “off-cycle?”
- Yep, it’s one of Roll’s most popular features! Whether you want to pay someone before the next regularly scheduled payday, give someone a bonus, or provide a final payout to someone who resigned or was terminated, all you have to do is chat, “Run payroll” and select an “off-cycle payment.” So easy!
Wages and garnishments
- Can I give raises with Roll?
- Oh yeah! Anytime. Just chat “Give Brenda a raise” (or you know, whoever it is you want to reward for crushing it!), answer a few simple questions, and boom. Brenda is one happy camper.
- What are the ways Roll can pay workers?
- Roll can pay workers in a way that suits your business or industry. Standard options include salary, hourly, and contract. But additional pay types are available for the trucking/transportation industry. These include pay by mile, pay per diem, pay by the load, layover pay, stop pay, and detention pay.
- Does Roll support tipped wages?
- We do! In fact, you can add cash tips, charged tips – or both to your payroll! Simply chat “New compensation type” to get started, then repeat if needed.
- What’s the difference between cash tips and charged tips?
- Cash tips are monies received directly from customers in the form of cash. Charged tips are monies received from charges to credit, debit, or gift cards. Both directly and indirectly tipped associates must report tips to their employer. All tips are subject to taxation.
- What's the difference between a bonus vs. raise?
- When it comes to bonuses and raises, think of a bonus as a high-five for a job well done, and a raise as moving up a whole new level. A bonus is an extra reward for outstanding performance or hitting those targets and is subject to tax. A raise, on the other hand, is an increase in an employee’s regular salary or hourly wage. With Roll, you can easily handle both bonuses and raises for your star employees.
- Can I pay bonuses with Roll?
- Heck yeah! Anytime. Just chat, “Run payroll” and decide if you want to reward someone right now (off-cycle payment) or give them some extra cha-ching on top of their regular pay. Either way, it’s a few taps and you’re done.
- How does Roll handle payroll garnishments?
Roll's got your back when it comes to dealing with garnishments in payroll. Our app takes care of the nitty-gritty details, allowing you to focus on your business. Once you've added or updated garnishments in Roll, the real magic happens. Our app seamlessly integrates the garnishments with your payroll process and streamlines wage garnishment tracking. The best part of our innovative wage garnishment services? Roll ensures that garnishments for wages are automatically processed and disbursed!
You can also reach out to our full-service team for expert advice while setting up wage garnishments for your employees. No need to worry about fumbling with garnishment details — Roll has you covered.
- What are the payroll garnishment rules?
- Payroll garnishment rules can feel a bit like a game with ever-changing rules. But don't fret! Roll stays on top of the latest regulations, so you can focus on more important things. We take the responsibility of keeping track of required garnishment rules, ensuring legal compliance, and saving you time in your day-to-day. You can rely on Roll to navigate the intricacies of payroll garnishments, allowing you to focus on what matters most — running your business.
- What types of garnishments can Roll handle?
- Roll can help with several forms of garnishments. From child support and spousal support orders to cash medical orders and garnishments for other amounts owed, we’ve got you covered. Whatever your specific garnishment needs may be, Roll will seamlessly adapt to ensure that your payroll process remains compliant. With Roll by your side, you can tackle all your payroll garnishment needs with ease.
- Can bonuses be garnished?
Depending on the circumstances and applicable regulations, garnishments may impact bonuses. But with Roll, you don't need to worry. We understand the intricacies of garnishment deductions and ensure the amount is calculated accurately every time. Roll helps you navigate the world of bonuses so you can reward your employees with confidence.
Don’t stress about raises, bonuses, and wage garnishments. Payroll is easy with Roll’s intuitive app. Try it for free today!
- Can my employees use the app?
- Absolutely! We’ll even send them an invite to download their own employee version of the app, so they can view their paystubs and tax info, update their banking details, and more.
- How will my employees get their paystubs?
- Employees can view their pay summaries and download their actual paystubs right in the app 24/7.
Subscription and billing
- How much does Roll cost?
- Try Roll FREE for the first 3 months! After that, pay only $29/month + $5/employee. Visit our Pricing page for more details.
- Is there a free trial?
- Yes! You can try Roll for free for 3 months. See Terms & Conditions.
- How do I pay for Roll?
- Roll deducts the fee from your company bank account each month.
- Do I have to sign an annual contract?
- No. We do, however, require 30 days' notice if you choose to cancel your account.
- What features are included?
- Payroll, of course! But also so much more. Explore all of Roll’s features, from payroll and tax filing, to intelligent assistance.
- What if my number of employees changes throughout the year?
- Roll bills monthly (which is awesome, right?!) — so you will not be charged the employee fee for employees who are not paid during a given month. And Roll is smart enough to know who got paid when, so there's no need to manually deactivate the employee yourself.
Taxes, withholding, and compliance
- Does Roll file payroll taxes for me?
- Yes it does. Roll calculates your payroll taxes each pay period, files your taxes, and remits payment for you. All you have to do is run payroll.
- Do you remit taxes for W-2s?
- Yes. Roll files and remits payment for W-2s.
- Do you remit taxes for 1099s?
- Yep! Roll files and remits payment for 1099-NEC.
- How do employees and contractors access their W-2s and 1099s respectively?
- Easy! Tax statements are delivered to employees and contractors right in the app every January for the previous tax year. All they have to do is tap the notification that says, "Your year-end tax statement is ready" to view or print the downloadable PDF file containing all their tax information.
- If I add tips to my payroll, how will they be taxed?
- That depends on the type of tips you add. Cash tips are received directly from customers, meaning they will be taxed as reportable income, not regular earnings, since the employee already received them. Charged tips are monies received from charges to credit, debit, or gift cards. Since these tips are reported as regular earnings, they will be included in the employee’s gross and net incomes and taxed accordingly. Reach out to our Support Team with any questions.
- Can I use Roll if I only have contractors?
- Yes. Roll supports all your payroll needs. Whether your company has only 1099s, only W-2s – or a mix of both, we’ve got you covered.
- How do I hire contractors with Roll?
- Easy! Just say, “Hire someone” and indicate the person will be a 1099 contractor. Then enter a few quick details and Roll will take care of the rest!
- Can I pay contractors whenever I want instead of on a regular pay schedule?
- Of course! Just use our off-cycle payment feature available whenever you run payroll. Super easy, it’s the ultimate in payroll flexibility!
- Can I pay contractors a fixed amount vs an hourly wage?
- Sure thing! When adding them to the Roll system, you’ll be asked if they’ll be paid an hourly rate or flat rate. Simply select “Flat”, enter the fixed amount – and voila! – that’s the default amount we’ll use while running payroll (of course, you can always change the amount if you need to). Piece of cake!
- Does Roll use Generative AI (GenAI)?
- It does. In fact, Roll was built on AI to give business owners a frictionless way to process their payroll (as easy as sending a text). Integrating GenAI technology takes Roll’s capabilities to the next level and makes it even easier for you to access your company data and get valuable payroll and HR guidance in a safe and secure way.
- What exactly is GenAI?
- It’s a type of Artificial Intelligence that relies on a large language model (LLM) to process natural language inputs and generate responses based on user questions or phrases.
- What types of questions can I ask?
You can ask anything related to your payroll and growing your business, like:• “How much are my employees paid?”• “When was [employee] hired?”• “Can you list my employees by tenure?”• “Can you help me with a job description for a truck driver that we’re hiring?”• “Can you give me hints on how to conduct a hiring interview?”• “I’m about to add more employees. How will that affect my taxation?”• “Is my organization eligible for any tax credits?”• “Can you explain what is a 401k deduction?”• “Can you tell me two simple strategies I can use for social media marketing in my company?”
- How does ADP ensure my data is safe with GenAI?
- ADP uses rigorous methods to safeguard privacy and keep your data secure in a non-public large language model environment. Ongoing human oversight ensures data security, validity, and bias protections. If you encounter any issues, you can always reach out to our Support Team – they’re here for you 24/7.
- Does Roll integrate with QuickBooks® Online?
- It does! Roll has a secure integration with QuickBooks Online and can post to your general ledger after each payroll to keep your books up to date! Plus, the setup is simple. To get started, just open the app and chat “Connect to QuickBooks”.
Security and privacy
- How secure is Roll?
- Very. With Roll by ADP, you get the ease, intelligence, and delight of an innovative payroll app with the expertise, reliability and security of ADP, the biggest name in payroll.
- Does Roll have a referral program?
- You bet! Refer other business owners to Roll and you’ll each earn a $100 Amazon Gift Card! How our Referral Program works: Invite your friends to download the app and sign up for Roll using a special link and unique six-digit code. You’ll get paid when your referral runs their 1st payroll.
- How do I refer a friend to use Roll?
- Easy! Just tap the storefront icon at the bottom of the app screen then go to the “Refer Roll to a Friend” tile. From there, you’ll be able to share with anyone in your network and get rewarded when they run their first payroll!
- Is there a cap on how many people I can refer?
- Nope. Go ahead and refer as many friends as you’d like!
- Will I be able to view my pay statements on the app?
- You bet! Roll sends you a notification when it’s payday. All you have to do is tap it to see your payment details. Or you can even chat, “Show me my paychecks” and Roll will give you links to your most recent pay statements on the spot!
- Are payroll reports available with Roll?
- Absolutely! You can request reports for a single worker, multiple workers, one pay period — or many. Just tell Roll in chat what you’re looking for. You can say things like “Prior pay for Alex”, “Q2 payroll”, “YTD payroll”, etc. FYI, Roll will also send an email containing payment and deduction details in an Excel format following the close of each pay period.
- Can I hire an out-of-state worker?
- Of course you can! Just chat, “Hire someone”. Roll will even let you know if additional company-level tax information is needed based on their location by sending notifications to the app and your phone. Smart – and simple!
- Can I use Roll on a desktop or laptop?
- Yes, Roll is available for both. Once you sign into the mobile app, you'll see a scanner icon at the bottom of your screen. Just tap, scan – and voilà! Instant big-screen access. Plus, the ability to run payroll (and keep up with other business demands) whenever – and wherever you like. How convenient is that?!
- Can I sign up if I already ran payrolls this year?
- Yes. Just provide a few details and you’re good to go! Roll will automatically reflect any previous payroll payments and tax deductions you made for your employees or contractors on their year-end tax statements. Pretty sweet, huh?
- Can I add an additional company if I’m already a Roll customer?
- You can! Once you're fully set up with Roll, you can always chat “Setup an additional company". It’s as easy as 1-2-3, and you can switch between your companies anytime with the tap of a button . Monthly and per-employee fees apply.
- Who do I contact for help?
- Open the app and tap at the top of your screen. If you don’t find what you’re looking for there, scroll to the bottom of the page to chat with a live agent. Our support team is available 24/7 to help you.
- What are your customer service hours?
- Roll offers 24/7 live support.